View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Upper class and graduate courses expand on these concepts. You are but a hop, skip and jump from a doctorates.

We also must add that pgfpro has certain advantages built into his engine system. His head design as well as the turbocharger produces increased turbulence and adds heat to the combustion mixture. The reaction rate ( increased thermo-chemical reaction rate ) is reflected in his need to only add 4 degrees ignition timing. In our attempts to run ultra lean mixtures with a Daihatsu engine with hemispherical combustion chambers, we found we had to add over 15 degrees additional timing to reach our torque potential.

I am not sure if his 4 degrees of timing included the NOs injection?

The bottom line is that . . . increased heat, increased turbulence and increased thermochemical activity result in increased flame speed.

Compressing the air/fuel mixture increases the heat.

A high swirl/tumble head design increases turbulence as well as the force of a turbocharged system.

The addition of oxygen, ozone or hydrogen allows for increased thermochemistry to occur.

In the run-up to the AutoXprize, a team proposed to run an engine on pure oxygen and gasoline. This was an extreme proposal that would need ceramic materials and water injection. The longevity of the ceramic materials was questionable and the amount of water needed was considerable to carry about. Outside of how to produce and carry the pure oxygen the idea was sound in that the ignition initiation could be carried out just before top-dead-center (TDC). I do not recall their expected target for BSFC (brake-specific-fuel-consumption).

Using the nitrogen in our surrounding air as a working fluid is much more plausible if we can keep combustion temperatures below 2300 degrees Centigrade or if reactions occur quickly enough to prevent the formation of NOx pollutants.
RustyLugNut, first off thank you again for your post and everyone else. I really appreciate everyone's input

The 4* timing advance added to my base timing is without N2O and just lean burn around 30:1. When I ran the N2O I took the 4* back out and in fact another 6* remove from my timing advance. This where if I could add hydrogen or some type of flame accelerant to the mix that is cost affective would really make my day.

One more stupid question is there a catalyst like on some glow plugs that's a fuel??? My pre-chamber has a .50" electrode and was wondering if there is some type of catalyst coating that could be coated on it to help with the rich zone of the chamber?