View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hybridizing a 2-wheel drive pickup

Hey folks,

There has been some discussion before on this forum about building a hybrid by taking a 2-wheel (front-wheel) drive car, which also had an all-wheel drive version, getting the back axel from the all-wheel, bolting that on, adding a motor, and making a hybrid from it.

I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Also, small pickup trucks make great EV's because they already have the frame and suspension for the battery system.

I was wondering, would it be possible to take a rear-wheel drive truck, put in a front axel from an 4-wheel drive version, put a motor on that, and make it into a hybrid?

I have no idea what this would take. I know nothing about 4-wheel drive trucks, so please tell me to stop fantasizing right now if it's a stupid idea.

Right now, my gas truck is a 1995 Chevy S10 4-cylinder, 5 speed. There is lots of room to work under the hood, because everything else is the same size, but the engine is smaller.

I was just thinking that I already have a truck and it's rear-wheel drive. I already have a full EV (Geo Metro and a motorcycle).

I would just love to get some better fuel economy on the long haul, and maybe I could do it by using electric in town, and save the gas for the highway.

I already know about all the things that need to be a little different for an EV mode, such as having a large vacuum resevoir for the power brakes.

Maybe building myself a hybrid isn't in the so distant future?.....

Anyways, dumb idea or or possible to reasonably do? Like I said, I really don't know anything about 4-wheel drive.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos