View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Beautiful scenery! How's the transition to right-hand drive/left-hand traffic?
It's quite disorienting, and nevermind that the road rules are quite different. It still feels a bit like writing with the wrong hand, but after a few days things "flipped" in my head quite suddenly, and now when I see pictures of left-hand drive/right-hand traffic, they look backwards to me.

Most traffic routing is done by roundabout. There are triangles on the road which look like arrows, but point in the opposite direction from the way you're supposed to drive. Turning on a red light is not allowed. Pedestrians always have the right of way, legally, but it seems cars still do in practice. Sometimes there will be 5 lanes of traffic going in one direction, with only one in the other. The roads are terrifyingly narrow, and people park on both sides making them more narrow still - sometimes there is barely enough room for one car to pass down the middle of a two lane road. Speed limits really are limits here, and people rarely exceed them. They also seem to be much better drivers, on average.

I think a part of me misses some of America's wide streets, though once I'm out of town it's incredibly fun - every drive is tail of the dragon. It almost makes more sense to have an ebike for around town here, as the MX-5 feels like a massive thing to be navigating the roads with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-27-2022), Gasoline Fumes (07-03-2022), MetroMPG (08-21-2022)