View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Adopt a motorcyclist (bicyclist) mindset and T-bones become mostly avoidable. Only clods enter intersections without glancing both ways first, even if the light is telling you to go. Only way I'd get hit is an obstructed view and massive misfortune.
T-bones, perhaps. But most of the accidents I've seen weren't t-bones. This last one, which was just a couple blocks from here, the car came up on the light after the pedestrian was in the crosswalk heading the same direction. The car turned left and ran over the pedestrian that was almost out of the crosswalk.

In another one, not that long ago, a bicyclist was going straight on the shoulder. A pickup driver with a long flat bed trailer who was in a hurry flew up beside him and turned right, running over the bicyclist with the trailer.

Just last week at the local Walmart parking lot my wife and a guy in a wheelchair almost got ran over right in front of my eyes by a guy in a massive Ford Superduty pickup with a welded metal custom bumper flying through there at a ridiculous speed.

Being cautious helps, yes, but the number of SUV and pickup owners that think they own the road and are probably drunk or on marijuana just keeps rising.