Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2022, 01:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Adopt a motorcyclist (bicyclist) mindset and T-bones become mostly avoidable. Only clods enter intersections without glancing both ways first, even if the light is telling you to go. Only way I'd get hit is an obstructed view and massive misfortune.

We're going to die of heart-disease or cancer like most everyone else. Our risk perception is always misaligned, and usually severely so. We make boogeymen out of anthills, and anthills out of hades.

Out of context, but handily available to me, I'm linking a portion of a recent SA episode I found interesting. Starts at about the hour mark. He's getting "edgier". His persuasion tactics inch the line such that one doesn't realize where they started, and where they ended up. I mean that from the perspective of having watched for years vs a single episode.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-01-2022 at 01:41 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2022, 01:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Is that before or after youtu.be/HXif7aZYrQc?t=3600

edit: First point he makes is Republicans = parents and Democrats = women. I thought that was insightful at the time.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Right about there...

The Hunter / Gatherer analogy was interesting to me. I knew there was a difference in average temperament between women and men that manifests both behaviorally and politically, but never put both together, even if crudely.

It's those types of things that get squirreled away in my mind and make other connections which end up revealing expanded understanding of reality in a profound way. Almost always it results in humility and empathy.

Best not to rage against creation, but to align with what it's telling us. The trick is knowing when the oddball is what nature is hinting at, or if convention is called for.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The folks you are discussing own nothing and be happy seem to be the same folks that are worried about population collapse, go figure

Likely relates to the forced birth movement going on, best guess wealthy fear lack of warm bodies to make profit

Last edited by rmay635703; 08-02-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Adopt a motorcyclist (bicyclist) mindset and T-bones become mostly avoidable. Only clods enter intersections without glancing both ways first, even if the light is telling you to go. Only way I'd get hit is an obstructed view and massive misfortune.
T-bones, perhaps. But most of the accidents I've seen weren't t-bones. This last one, which was just a couple blocks from here, the car came up on the light after the pedestrian was in the crosswalk heading the same direction. The car turned left and ran over the pedestrian that was almost out of the crosswalk.

In another one, not that long ago, a bicyclist was going straight on the shoulder. A pickup driver with a long flat bed trailer who was in a hurry flew up beside him and turned right, running over the bicyclist with the trailer.

Just last week at the local Walmart parking lot my wife and a guy in a wheelchair almost got ran over right in front of my eyes by a guy in a massive Ford Superduty pickup with a welded metal custom bumper flying through there at a ridiculous speed.

Being cautious helps, yes, but the number of SUV and pickup owners that think they own the road and are probably drunk or on marijuana just keeps rising.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I ask again: Is leasing owning nothing? Maybe we're half-way there already?

Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

It does annoy me that the size of vehicle tends to influence behavior. Nobody cuts me off when I'd driving my truck, and they'll even wait an unreasonable amount of time to let me pass. I could see truck drivers becoming used to driving like they own the road simply because that's how drivers react.

I consider leasing to be similar to renting in that equity does not accrue.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I've always thought of the word Leasing meaning the same as Renting.

Maybe people should have to pass commercial driving style classes depending on the height of their vehicle.

Not that long ago the first page of the IIHS website had an article of how SUV's are killing a lot more pedestrians and that nothing is being done to stop that trend.

Maybe crossover mirrors and backup cameras should be mandatory on CUV's, SUV's and pickups.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
A lease is a rental agreement for fixed terms and time, although time is a fixed term. They detail responsibilities and penalties, although typically greater on the leasee's side. Fit of purpose is generally assumed, however all conditions in a lease are negotiable.

SUV'$ tend to be heavier, bigger and flatter on the front so an object can't deflect and reduce damage. Newer vehicles have a mandate to deflect people in accidents thereby reducing injury.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Vision is another thing on SUV's and pickups. Sitting in my sedan I can see my flat bed trailer right in front of me. In my brother's pickup you have to be a ways back. No wonder a pickup driver ran over the rear of my trailer at Home Depot.

When I was driving school bus one driver came back from his route and said a girl got off and he didn't see where she went. Looking in his crossover mirrors he saw her leaning up on the front bumper. If a little girl leans on the front bumper of a typical sedan she'll be easier to see than if she does that to an SUV or pickup. Of course it doesn't have to be a girl leaning up on the grill or bumper, even a ways out a small person can be hard or impossible to see. You can still have a small enough person close enough or low enough in front of a sedan to not see him but he'd have to be smaller or closer or lower than with an SUV or pickup.