View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
Congratulations! You were showing an actual running car
Thanks!

It's amazing how much talk you hear from the big motor company's and even people I personally talk to ("well, I'd do it this way......")

I wish more people were out there working on making things actually happen!
Fortunately, many of them are right here on this forum!

I do get a little happier with every new automotive X-Prize participant I hear about.

I did have a little problem coming back from the open house. My turn signals weren't working right.

When I checked my 12V accessory battery, it read 20 volts! Yipes! I worked on it some tonight. Turns out I had the multimeter set to AC instead of DC! The battery was 11 volts in DC. I swapped the battery out for another one and EVerything was fine.

One of the next things I should be doing on the car is adding a voltmeter and ammeter for the 12V system. Also, my current battery is undersized. Maybe I can get a few for free from Tom at the computer recycler shop and parallel them together.

I am still planning a DC/DC converter as well, but have not found one in my budget yet. I do have the mate to the one on my motorcycle, but it's only 100 watt. Fine for a single motorcycle headlight, but most likely not enough for a pair of car headlights, a blower, and windshield wipers....

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos