View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
seuadr
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Well a 79 should have a spreadbore thermoquad carb which if it hasn't been backfired on can be modded to be really frugal. Will have a 3 speed 727 auto which will accept a lock up TC but isn't stellar otherwise
mmhhmmm mmmhhmmm i recognize the word carb and backfire.

in all seriousness though - if it doesn't have that carb, i could also look for one. I've not spent much time looking at carbs for 4 wheeled vehicles, but, i've adjusted plenty for motorcycles and small engines so i'm sure between my limited experience, you fine folks on the internet, and access to some older friends that have built a lot of performance oriented cars back in the day we can work something out.

i'm also looking into stand alone EFI kits - just not sure if they are worth it.

which actually reminds me - i can't find any empirical evidence, but it has been suggested a number of times that the 318 in that likely has an RV cam which is aimed less at HP and more at torque and efficiency. that sounds attractive.

i HAVE found that i can retrofit a 42RH/A500 or R46RH/A518 and lockup converter with automatic switching using a couple pressure solenoids and a vacuum actuated switch, so that is pretty attractive, since it'll bolt right up. Not sure what the stock rear end ratio is, but, the stock version of the van came with a Dana 60HD and a 4.10, so, probably the same - i could get a 3.55,3.2 or 2.94 so a number of options there..

The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-11-2022)