Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Well a 79 should have a spreadbore thermoquad carb which if it hasn't been backfired on can be modded to be really frugal. Will have a 3 speed 727 auto which will accept a lock up TC but isn't stellar otherwise
mmhhmmm mmmhhmmm i recognize the word carb and backfire.

in all seriousness though - if it doesn't have that carb, i could also look for one. I've not spent much time looking at carbs for 4 wheeled vehicles, but, i've adjusted plenty for motorcycles and small engines so i'm sure between my limited experience, you fine folks on the internet, and access to some older friends that have built a lot of performance oriented cars back in the day we can work something out.

i'm also looking into stand alone EFI kits - just not sure if they are worth it.

which actually reminds me - i can't find any empirical evidence, but it has been suggested a number of times that the 318 in that likely has an RV cam which is aimed less at HP and more at torque and efficiency. that sounds attractive.

i HAVE found that i can retrofit a 42RH/A500 or R46RH/A518 and lockup converter with automatic switching using a couple pressure solenoids and a vacuum actuated switch, so that is pretty attractive, since it'll bolt right up. Not sure what the stock rear end ratio is, but, the stock version of the van came with a Dana 60HD and a 4.10, so, probably the same - i could get a 3.55,3.2 or 2.94 so a number of options there..

The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-11-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
You are better served with a different carb , a quadrajet from a chevy is extremely easy to tune. The TQ has a phenolic center which is fragile, the quadrajet is all metal.

Chevy had for a while the same parts as the holley kinda efi kit on their production engines. Not a chevy guy, don't know what years.

Rv cam is basically more lift (.500+) and longer duration and pretty rare factory. You could special order one, but pretty sure Transvan bought standard cab and chassis vehicles. 360 valves are interchangeable, bigger and flow better.

B-RB block (318, 340, 360) kept the same bolt patterns, might even drop in still today. I stopped being dodge oriented in 2000.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
360 valves are interchangeable, bigger and flow better.

B-RB block (318, 340, 360) kept the same bolt patterns, might even drop in still today. I stopped being dodge oriented in 2000.
yeah, it is my understanding i could pretty much direct swap the heads.

also re: block size - i know at least through the magnums are a nearly direct fit, except of course fitting the electronics and adding a fuel pump, etc.

just not sure it'd be worth it, since it seems like the biggest benefit would be the OD trans which i can fit anyhow.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Not the whole head, just the valves. Back in the day it was a legal 10 hp mod that wouldn't have been checked

The B-RB is dodges classification of the bell housing like Cologne Ford 4 /6 bangers. they appear to still use it in the pick ups so my suspicion is anything bolts up to their V8 small block, perhaps computer controlled stuff
Old 08-10-2022, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
it seems like the biggest benefit would be the OD trans which i can fit anyhow.
As long as you can get either a fully-hydraulic valve body, or a standalone transmission control module to enable an electronically-controled transmission to operate without input from the engine control module.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
As long as you can get either a fully-hydraulic valve body, or a standalone transmission control module to enable an electronically-controled transmission to operate without input from the engine control module.
Yeah the A518/46rh 9nly has 2 wires for lockup and they can be automatically engaged/disengaged with oil pressure sensors and a relay
Old 08-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
mmhhmmm mmmhhmmm i recognize the word carb and backfire.

in all seriousness though - if it doesn't have that carb, i could also look for one. I've not spent much time looking at carbs for 4 wheeled vehicles, but, i've adjusted plenty for motorcycles and small engines so i'm sure between my limited experience, you fine folks on the internet, and access to some older friends that have built a lot of performance oriented cars back in the day we can work something out.

i'm also looking into stand alone EFI kits - just not sure if they are worth it.

which actually reminds me - i can't find any empirical evidence, but it has been suggested a number of times that the 318 in that likely has an RV cam which is aimed less at HP and more at torque and efficiency. that sounds attractive.

i HAVE found that i can retrofit a 42RH/A500 or R46RH/A518 and lockup converter with automatic switching using a couple pressure solenoids and a vacuum actuated switch, so that is pretty attractive, since it'll bolt right up. Not sure what the stock rear end ratio is, but, the stock version of the van came with a Dana 60HD and a 4.10, so, probably the same - i could get a 3.55,3.2 or 2.94 so a number of options there..
Holley used to manufacture a fuel injection system which would bolt up the the 4-barrel intake manifold.
Edelbrock made a 'TORQUER' intake manifold designed for low end 'pulling' and fuel economy.
And HOOKER used to sell headers designed for a crossover ( x-pipe now ) and dual mufflers ( Walker ) with enough back pressure for low-end torque.
The post-energy crisis Torqueflites are bulletproof and at some date had the electric, full-lock-up torque converters which conserved fuel.
I suppose tires have come a long way as far as rolling resistance.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Holley used to manufacture a fuel injection system which would bolt up the the 4-barrel intake manifold.
Edelbrock made a 'TORQUER' intake manifold designed for low end 'pulling' and fuel economy.
And HOOKER used to sell headers designed for a crossover ( x-pipe now ) and dual mufflers ( Walker ) with enough back pressure for low-end torque.
The post-energy crisis Torqueflites are bulletproof and at some date had the electric, full-lock-up torque converters which conserved fuel.
I suppose tires have come a long way as far as rolling resistance.
yeah, the A518/46RH is a progression of the 727 and has the electric locker.

i've been reading a lot of suggestions in regards to aftermarket headers but usually they are talking about them in regards to increased HP numbers, and, frankly i know little about that kind of stuff - i can tune a carb with some trial and error but porting, designing exhaust, etc isn't my area.

good to know there are options - because i should have lots of leeway to install that sort of thing once it is clear of the doghouse as the camper i intend to purchase is fully gutted.

i have a friend that i believe has access to notchers and mandril benders and i can weld passibly so we have some opportunity.

Holley still has a system designed to drop on quadrajets. the adverts focus on HP gains and self tuning but my guess is it could be focused on torque instead.
aerohead (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
headers

If you have a university nearby, they may have archived automotive periodicals in the 'stacks' of the library ( ask the librarian ).
HOT ROD Magazine, oddly enough, would be your go-to source for fuel economy articles associated with small-blocks, gearing, fuel management, ignition, exhaust, etc..
* It's possible that, there's a small cfm 4-barrel that will perform as well as EFI, when just loafing down the open road. Small primaries, great atomization, plus 'secondaries' when you really needed power for passing or hill-climbing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Southern California, it was common to use radiator hose to mockup a set of headers. They already have all mandrel bends. Measure, cut, and join with tubing nipples cut from exhaust pipe, up to where the collector would begin.
The sizing is more critical for 'torque' than HP. Hopefully, the HOT ROD articles can help there.
You'll notice that modern Corvettes can close off half of their exhaust with butterfly valves ( borrowed from Hi-Pro motorcycle exhaust ), when they transition between 8-cylinder and 4-cylinder operation. Without the added back-pressure, the engine torque ( and mpg ) would tank.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you have a university nearby, they may have archived automotive periodicals in the 'stacks' of the library ( ask the librarian ).
HOT ROD Magazine, oddly enough, would be your go-to source for fuel economy articles associated with small-blocks, gearing, fuel management, ignition, exhaust, etc..
* It's possible that, there's a small cfm 4-barrel that will perform as well as EFI, when just loafing down the open road. Small primaries, great atomization, plus 'secondaries' when you really needed power for passing or hill-climbing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Southern California, it was common to use radiator hose to mockup a set of headers. They already have all mandrel bends. Measure, cut, and join with tubing nipples cut from exhaust pipe, up to where the collector would begin.
The sizing is more critical for 'torque' than HP. Hopefully, the HOT ROD articles can help there.
You'll notice that modern Corvettes can close off half of their exhaust with butterfly valves ( borrowed from Hi-Pro motorcycle exhaust ), when they transition between 8-cylinder and 4-cylinder operation. Without the added back-pressure, the engine torque ( and mpg ) would tank.
i actually work for a big 10 university - i'll have to check that out. they may have digitized a lot of that, there is an effort to do so.

i've started a conversation over at the allpar forums about the 318 and the first thing they recommended was a swap to a later drivetrain, it sounds like it might be relatively straight forward since they kept the same basic body configuration until 2003.

it is some food for thought i suppose, not sure if it would help from an economy standpoint unless it could be tuned.

aerohead (08-11-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread