View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Some automotive journalists have mentioned the following reasons automakers will never build what you desire:
* Automatic transmissions can satisfy EPA Clean Air Act standards/regulations- CAFE Standards, whereas manual transmissions cannot.
* Automatic transmission cars cost less to manufacture and return higher profits.
* There are more consumers who desire automatic transmissions than those who don't.
* A manual transmission can never be shifted as fast as an automatic, and will always waste some energy between shifts.
* Unless a manual transmission had 12-gears, it could never compete against a CVT transmission, and the 'tiny' ratio splits it provides.
* It is these small gear splits which help the engine remain in it's most favorable island of BSFC, consequently returning the highest thermal-mechanical efficiency, lowest fuel consumption, and lowest exhaust emissions.
* In two years, BEVs will cost the same as ICE automobiles, and since BEVs get 3.5X higher fuel economy than ICE, there will no longer be any rational reason to purchase or manufacture ICE vehicles, or transmissions as are currently manufactured.
* After the electrification of transport is complete, 'transmissions' will be known only as museum pieces.
True, but it also makes cars kind of boring (for me).

I don't know about BEVs costing the same as ICE automobiles in two years, but the future seems like we'll be driving around overpowered tablets in one form or another. Some want cars to be basically a subscription service.

There were a lot of cool cars back when I was a kid. None of the current grey CUV's and pickups that line every inch of every dealership appeal to me.

When I was a kid we had a 5 speed manual Ford Aerostar. Now that was cool IMO!

Sure, new cars a better. But I don't see what makes one different from another anymore.

There are electric cars with two speed automatics. I can only hope there'll be more reasons in the future to put transmissions in electric cars and that at least some of them will get manual transmissions.