View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I expect the direction we're headed is more toward the elimination of the personal vehicle. How much cheaper would an Uber be if it didn't have a driver? I expect within a decade or three, the only reason to own a car will be for entertainment purposes.
That may be for the best. But it seems everything is going that way, as if we're becoming a society where you work and then get everything automatedly taken from your paycheck and given to you as a service.

It's kind of like the real estate market. Big corporations have been buying up many of the properties where I live and then turning around and renting them. Home ownership may end up being a thing of the past too.

Maybe I'm too old school, but it seems to take a lot of the pride out of things. I like driving a manual because I'm good at it. I took my Mom's Chevy Sonic to the city and back and got over 50mpg by hypermiling. I also used to play the piano, but I can't afford as big of a place anymore and had to give away my upright piano for free as no one would pay even $100 for it.

I was also kind of good at programming in Basic. Now what should I get into, or am I too old to find a hobby?