View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 03:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Yes you would still need oil.

"impart force": Like magnetic poles repel and, according to the maths, the force with which they repel is squared as the distance between them decreases:
So Force = Magnetic Constant /Distance squared.
So the maths says; when D is 0; F is infinite, regardless of how strong the magnet is...
https://socratic.org/questions/the-f...ionality%20%23

ie: You will still get all the force/torque, but without the gears ever physically touching, much like you cant get the like poles of a bar magnet to ever touch... theoretically..?
Unfortunately, the force is only infinite if the magnet is a point source with no physical dimensions - a bit like those physics textbook problems talking about ladders moving at the speed of light through an open barn door. Doesn't actually exist. From my reading, in practice all magnets have the center of their pole somewhere inside their structure (not at the very edge), and the pole is really only where the electromagnetic field lines converge, and it moves around depending on how it interacts with other fields. With a purely steel gear of that size, you're likely to get a few fractions of a pound of repulsive force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Yes one gear shaft is a solid piece.
My guess was that as long as one kept all the norths in the same direction; you'd be fine.
I too looked, but couldn't find info on this. Link?

The other shaft is all separate gears. Easy enough.

And yes; Just a Thought Experiment at this stage.
I spent a few hours reading on this but didn't save any links. Best I can tell, to build this, you'd need to recast the gear where the alloyed metal in the middle is not ferromagnetic (possibly in a face centered cubic crystalline structure), while having the atoms in the teeth all aligned outward with a different crystalline structure, such as body-centered. The magnetic fiends of the different teeth would interact with each other, and there needs to be a path for the field lines to make their way around to the underside of the teeth without interference. You also risk any shocks to the gear (such as when changing gears) completely reorienting the magnetic fields. I expect this to be a multimillion dollar project to produce one set of gears, which would have a repulsive force under a pound, that might demagnetize the first time you put it in gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Logic (08-15-2022)