View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Cool, thanks. What mods is that tune set up for? For now I'm using the stock TSX basemap in Kmanager and as far as I can tell not being able to monitor fuel trims and air/fuel ratios since I don't have an exhaust and oxygen sensor yet it seems to be working reasonably well. I got 42.2 MPG last tank despite everything being wrong, so that's not too bad for something so quick. That should improve a bit when the brakes aren't dragging, I get a hood, exhaust, oxygen sensor and taller geared 6 speed trans, suspension is fixed and alignment is correct, etc.

Mine doesn't have balance shafts either and it still idles smooth enough at 600-700 RPM that I usually can barely feel it running over the vibrations from the road, tires, etc while I'm coasting and it never vibrates so much that it annoys me. Since I don't have an exhaust system yet, I actually prefer the lower idle because it's quieter.

As for oil pressure, I'm not sure what it is since I don't have a gauge yet. I imagine it is probably pretty good since the chain driven oil pump spins 1.6 times faster than the crankshaft. I was more concerned about inadequate oil splash at a lower RPM, but I wouldn't think 600-700 RPM would be so low that I would have to worry much. It's not like I'm trying to get it to idle ridiculously low, plenty of cars idle at that RPM with no problems.
Here is a link to my repository of tunes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Dz...ew?usp=sharing

The motor was a K24A with the 04-05 intake, Accord cable throttle body, stock header, 2.5" exhaust, RSX oil pump, and 06-08 TSX cams. I had a 50° VTC with a 40° limiting pin, but it should work fine even if you have only a 25°.

The only thing I'd caution is to listen for knock, as the tunes were very much maximizing ignition advance for each octane level - the 93 tune is essentially MBT everywhere but at WOT below ~2250rpm, where I still had to pull some advance. You can, of course, simply flash a 91 tune if you're running 93 and still getting knock on the 93 tune, but I'd be happy to help adjust the ignition tables to fix that.

There are lean burn and non-lean burn variants for each fuel grade. You'll want to tick or untick the boxes based on what sensors you have - mine was complete, with upstream and downstream O2 sensors and full emissions set up. You'll also want to adjust the transmission ratio table.

42mpg is great. I found gearing was absolutely key, and gained another 5+ mpg when I got my 3.4 final drive and 9th gen 6th installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (09-14-2022)