View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
broski499
EcoModding Apprentice

Boltar - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
It's a matter of perspective.

I've personally met a couple hundred people crushed by unexpected maintenance on a Gen2/3 Prius, FEH, Kia/Hyundai, etc. I get lots of calls about Leafs, Volts and several Fusion Energi (PHEV). Most of these are after a short period of ownership because they bought used.

With what I've seen on Gen3 packs, I'll never own one. Toyota screwed a lot up on the Gen3. Doubt Gen4 is any better as they just keep squeezing more out of the same pack.

I understand that I'm only seeing the worst, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

As such my experience is well beyond my personal driving/owning. I've owned a total of 11 hybrids and every single one of them had a major maintenance event (battery or other).

Given the cost of a BEV/PHEV pack, I wouldn't be okay with it unless it was 1) Under substantial remaining warranty or
2) Purchase price + battery replacement $ = acceptable to me.
Yeah this def rules out the leaf idea. Unless I can get it crazy cheap. The batteries are just so prone to massive degradation. Replacement is 8k minimum, more than the car would be worth.

You brought up a great point earlier about my current Prius still being pretty young especially when it comes to miles. I’ve had very few mechanical issues. The coolant pump failed when the car was still just under warranty, so that was lucky.

There are a lot of companies to choose from in the Southern California area when it comes to replacement battery packs. Anyone ever replaced a battery before? From what I’ve read I should avoid battery packs made of refurbished cells and just get one with new cells.