View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #563 (permalink)
Rcnesneg
EcoModding Lurker

2020 Kia Niro EV - '20 Kia Niro EV
90 day: 151.63 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Not me. Overhyped in this case though. Aptera keeps citing best case scenarios when the real world will fall far short. One only need to look at a typical permanent PV installation production graph over a year to see that the numbers just aren't going to work out much of the time.

I've seen way too many articles saying 'never needs to charge' or some bull**** along those lines. Spend a winter in Oregon while trying to drive an average of 1188 miles per month. In January, I am lucky if my 5kW system produces 100kWh for the month. The panels on the Aptera will produce less than 1/10 of that assuming it is parked with full solar exposure during those hours. 10kWh won't run the heat for 1000 miles.
I see no problem with the solar... At the end of the day it's a really really efficient car that has a tremendous suite of benefits over a traditional EV. The solar is really the icing on the cake. Find another EV that can run 1200 miles on 120kwh of power... There isn't one. Nothing is even close. I wish there was but there isn't.