View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by broski499 View Post
Yeah this def rules out the leaf idea. Unless I can get it crazy cheap. The batteries are just so prone to massive degradation. Replacement is 8k minimum, more than the car would be worth.

You brought up a great point earlier about my current Prius still being pretty young especially when it comes to miles. I’ve had very few mechanical issues. The coolant pump failed when the car was still just under warranty, so that was lucky.

There are a lot of companies to choose from in the Southern California area when it comes to replacement battery packs. Anyone ever replaced a battery before? From what I’ve read I should avoid battery packs made of refurbished cells and just get one with new cells.
Inverter coolant pump is the #1 Gen2 failure by a good measure. I just had one on my son's car last week. Wife's '08 failed at 70K miles. The '04 failed at about 120K and the '05 failed around 110K. I tell folks expect to go through 3-4 in 250K miles. More if you go aftermarket from the parts store.

As you explore choices, consider that not a single one of them will last 107K miles after 14 years. None. The only one that will have a chance of another 8 years/100K miles is Toyota new. Period. Feeling brave? Go buy your own for $1950 from the dealership.

You'll have to pay a $1500 core charge, but you'll get that back when you return your core.