View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
Lemons Racing

I used to follow Lemons Racing in hopes of one day building a car and getting on a Team.

I gave up. These "$500" cars require about $5k to build (and more to be competitive) and is plumb full of cheaters building "$500" turbo Megasquirt miatas and turbo BMWs that were not even built on wrecked vehicles. You can't even get the tuning software and components up and running for $500.

No way these were built for $5k or under. Now, the "$500 build" does not include safety equipment (which is about $2k to $3k, ouch). But I call total BS on the competitive cars and what they are claiming they spent on it. U can barely even get a junkyard motor for less than $500 anymore.

Do you think Chris Fix's BMW qualifies as a $500 Lemons build?

Until they make Lemons into claim type of racing (you can purchase any vehicle for the claim price minus safety equipment), this is not realistic grass roots racing.

If you ever have watched real $1000 claimer racing, it is real competitive. The winner's car is often purchased if he looks a bit too fast. U got to start with clapped out sh.t and learn to drive to be competitive.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank