View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I don't remember reading anything about wilderness survival in the Warrior Manual they issued us in Basic, which I read twice, but that was 14 years ago.

This is newer, so I am searching for one thing I remember. First I found:
Quote:
In BCT, you will have the opportunity for at least 7 hours of continuous sleep per night (unless you are scheduled for duty such as access control guard/fireguard or charge of quarter’s runner).
I doubt I had many nights with 7 continuous hours I was able to sleep.

This one is from 2003 and much of it looks familiar, but I still couldn't find the sleep techniques. All that I found about water sources is:
Quote:
If pure water is not available, water in canteens can be treated by adding water purification tablets. (See
FM 21-10 for methods of purifying water.)
Holy heck!
Quote:
You should not drink more than 1½ quarts hourly or 12 quarts daily.
On page 5-326 it says how to use iodine tablet and mentions alternate methods and mentions boiling.

On pages 5-177 to 185 it lists where to punch people!

I finally searched for it. Here are a lot of words saying you inhale for 4 seconds, hold it for 4, exhale for 4, and hold it for 4--except I swear my Warrior Manual said 5 seconds each: How To De-Stress In 5 Minutes Or Less, According To A Navy SEAL

This explains the 4-7-8 method, which is how long you inhale, hole, and exhale making a whoosh sound.

I feel like reviewing Boy Scout survival techniques I have forgotten.