Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
potable

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Still waiting on Tesla's home air conditioner that produces potable water.
All AC condensate is 'distilled' potable water. There may be airborne mold, spores, etc. inhabiting the evaporator coil exterior though.
I've drinken my own 'urine' from a solar still ( Air Force basic training paid off! )

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
That's the design problem Tesla have to resolve.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's the design problem Tesla have to resolve.
Yeah, a 'Legionnaires disease' machine could turn customers off.
Xist (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Something inside might be above 160f with sufficient energy to sterilize what it's producing. Here in Nevada it's about a cup a day, in Minneapolis, it would be a cup every other minute
Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
All AC condensate is 'distilled' potable water. There may be airborne mold, spores, etc. inhabiting the evaporator coil exterior though.
I've drinken my own 'urine' from a solar still ( Air Force basic training paid off! )
In "Voyage of the Mimi" they made something like this:

Is that what you made?

I found the image here: StackExchange: Why can't solar stills convert sea water into fresh water?

I thought the best response was:
Quote:
The amount of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in sea water is about 40,000ppm. Thus for every 1,000L of sea water distilled, you would have 40L of solids left behind after distillation. The amount of room left for water (i.e. the capacity of the 'hole') would thus decrease by 4% each time it was used. The 'hole' would be 50% full of solids after only 17 uses and 90% full after 56 uses.

Assuming you designed your system to go through one distillation cycle every day, your holes would no longer be viable — and would need to be abandoned — roughly every two months.

To rub salt into the wound, you would leave behind hypersaline pits that would kill virtually all nearby plant life. As you dug more and more pits along the countryside, you would progressively turn the environment into a barren wasteland, devoid of life, and subject to extreme erosion.

In conclusion, the illustrated design degrades quickly, scales poorly, and has grave, long-term environmental consequences. That's why a solar sea water still could be suitable for infrequent, individual use, but would be unsuitable for long-term provision of water to the public.
Someone else commented:
Quote:
The salt that eventually appears is collected and sold in specialty grocery shops.
Instead of using seawater we can use sewage! Then instead of having waste salt we have flammable waste we can incinerate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water-Procurement-Easy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	32973  
aerohead (11-01-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I don't remember reading anything about wilderness survival in the Warrior Manual they issued us in Basic, which I read twice, but that was 14 years ago.

This is newer, so I am searching for one thing I remember. First I found:
Quote:
In BCT, you will have the opportunity for at least 7 hours of continuous sleep per night (unless you are scheduled for duty such as access control guard/fireguard or charge of quarter’s runner).
I doubt I had many nights with 7 continuous hours I was able to sleep.

This one is from 2003 and much of it looks familiar, but I still couldn't find the sleep techniques. All that I found about water sources is:
Quote:
If pure water is not available, water in canteens can be treated by adding water purification tablets. (See
FM 21-10 for methods of purifying water.)
Holy heck!
Quote:
You should not drink more than 1½ quarts hourly or 12 quarts daily.
On page 5-326 it says how to use iodine tablet and mentions alternate methods and mentions boiling.

On pages 5-177 to 185 it lists where to punch people!

I finally searched for it. Here are a lot of words saying you inhale for 4 seconds, hold it for 4, exhale for 4, and hold it for 4--except I swear my Warrior Manual said 5 seconds each: How To De-Stress In 5 Minutes Or Less, According To A Navy SEAL

This explains the 4-7-8 method, which is how long you inhale, hole, and exhale making a whoosh sound.

I feel like reviewing Boy Scout survival techniques I have forgotten.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'Voyage of the Mimi'

That's exactly what I used, except for the additional urine.
And since 'Barbi & Ken' will already pay extra for boutique, Himalayan pink salt, I figured that I could also market the solids left behind in the hole.
Along with North Texas mosquito pate, Lone Star ground fire-ant seasoning, I could target 5-Star Michelin-rated Parisian restaurants.
Apparently, if the price point on the menu is right, gastronomes can be compelled to put just about anything into their mouths.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Further to the original post:
gizmodo.com: Just How White Can White Paint Get?
A team from Purdue University is using nanotechnology to create paints that reflect 98% of sunlight.

Quote:
“We definitely had some issues getting the particles to incorporate fully into the paint mixture,” Felicelli said. “But over time, we were able to resolve those different processing techniques. And we were able to achieve an application that was very similar to your regular commercial white paint.”

The resulting paint using boron nitride is nearly as effective as the first formulation with barium sulfate: It can reflect up to 97.9% of sunlight. What’s more, it only requires a 0.15 millimeter layer to be effective, and, thanks to the compound’s porous structure that incorporates a lot of air, weighs 80% less than the barium sulfate paint.

While you can’t go out and buy this ultra-white paint right now, Ruan said the team is in talks with manufacturers to begin the process of creating and selling it as a product. The paint is also being perfected and tested to ensure it can resist dirt and can last as long under UV light as commercial white paints. Down the road, Ruan said, he’s also interested in creating reflective paint in different colors, as well as paints that could switch from reflective to absorptive, depending on the season—like a building-size version of drinkware that changes color when you pour hot or cold water into it.

“Right now, the paint is for cooling, so it’s great for hot climates,” he said. “But in Indiana, for example, we need heat in the winter. It would be great if you were able to switch from the whitest paint in the summer to a color that can absorb sunlight. That is challenging to make it cost effective, to make it scalable. We are investigating, and we can’t expose all the details now, but we can learn from nature to help us understand how to make those kinds of technologies possible.”

Old 03-03-2023, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tech Ingredients doubles down. This should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko
Not sure you can prove that. It is radiating somewhere
He says "into the environment", but it can be 'shaded' by buildings and trees.

edit: Hey! Barium Sulphate is not only non-toxic, they use it in medical diagnosis.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

NightHawkInLight gives clear instructions for making the stuff:

It's an interesting story; he goes down a wrong path for a while and learns things he wouldn't have otherwise.

It's a scalable process, from beakers to 5-gallon buckets. With suggestons for application.

Works best where it can see the sky but is still in the shade.

Reply  Post New Thread