View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Most Recent Tank:

2022 - 11 - 08:

That tank went better than expected, if the final readout's right (I went to my usual Citgo station, instead of the B.P. station I went to the previous time to save $1.48.) The on-board meter (which was very accurate before mods) said 18.5 for this tank, but my current tank calculations say this:

18.71 MPG
290.1 Miles
15.506 Gallons

Only about the last 25 miles have the Air Dam on, so its effects aren't evident.

I admit, I did some EOCing this tank. I normally don't (and I don't want to,) but some road construction sapped my F.E., so I did on a few occasions.

Again, I have to stress the fact that using both 3rd Gear and also Cruise Control to shut off the injectors in certain speed ranges (and usually downhill) is helping my FE.

EDIT, 7 June 2023: This tank was not right, because I switched gas stations. The next tank was lower.

About Engine Heaters:

I'll keep up with using the block heater. It doesn't raise the temperature clear to operating, though; the most I saw was 136 F, before starting. I'll need to add another heater or two if I want it to be at or near operating temp right at the start.

I don't think this 4.0 has room for another block heater. Earlier, I said it looked like it did, but now that site seems wrong. I've looked at photos of the Ford 4.0 Engine Block, and as far as I can tell, there isn't another freeze plug. I think I need another immersion heater, but I have qualms against just using Kat's Heaters; they don't have the best reputation.

I have an early 1960s Heater with an element that sits in the coolant system. I don't know its wattage, or if it works and won't leak, and it needs a new electrical cord. Maybe I'll use that, but it's too early to say much about it.

I bought a 1500w water tank element from Home Depot some months ago, after seeing a thread from Oil Pan 4. I remember he said that he had heaters that were only screwed together, so I'm thinking of going that way.

Next Up:

Rear Wheel Skirting. It doesn't have to be super fancy, just some plastic that's well attached, maybe with an easily bent strip of aluminum to screw into.

Also, I need to change the oil pan gasket, along with the oil and filter. I've been using Amsoil Signature Series 10w30 + a FRAM Titanium or FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter (some of the best filters available, short of adding a "bypass" kit,) so I should still be good for a bit.

At the same time of the oil change, I plan to fill up the tank and add a bottle of Amsoil Performance Improver (for cleaning the injectors.) I don't use it every 4,000 miles (according to the bottle,) but once a year seems OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I wouldn't worry. To cover everything would add frontal area. For instance, my Superbeetle has a tow hook that hangs down another 1-1 1/2".

Does it have a notch in the center to make a central jet?
Frankly, I'm not sure what you mean by "a central jet," though I might guess it.

Oh, and the car has an Anti-Deer Bar on it. I've never hit a deer with it, but it's there.

Last edited by 101Volts; 06-07-2023 at 06:42 PM..