View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
My new EV

It's a brand I've never heard of before - "Metakoo Cybertrack 100". (China makes e-bikes by the billions, so I'm not surprised I've never heard of it.)

I got it used (with 80 km / 50 miles on it) for $900 CAD from a 6'3" guy who bought it online without noticing the frame size in the sales description -- it's WAY too small for his height. It's even slightly too small for me and I'm just 5'10.

Specs..

- 350W rear hub motor
- 375Wh battery
- 1.5-2 hr charging time
- 21 speeds
- 46 lbs
- "30 mile / 50 km" range... whatever that means

Cost...

Original owner paid 1250 CAD after taxes. He could have sent it back, but opted to sell it at a discount rather than go through the hassle of re-boxing, shipping & also paying a restocking fee.

Hassle for him = deal for me!

I specifically chose this bike because it's a "normal" bike with 21 speeds (including a nice, low granny gear) that also has electric assist (both via throttle or pedal-assist).

The key thing is it's usable as a regular bike (though it's portly at 46 lbs). I've ridden several other e-bikes that were either so heavy or awkward that you would be in trouble if you ran it out of charge far from home or in hilly terrain.

Range...

I've owned it since August and have charged it 4 times so far. Even limiting the max. charge level to around 80% and not draining it empty (to extend the life of the battery pack), I'm seeing around 40 miles / 70 km per charge. I almost always pedal when riding - I use the "pedal assist" mode rather than the hand throttle.

Usage...

I already do a lot of errands around town by bike. My justification for an e-bike is it's for the trips where I'm in too much of a hurry or feeling too lazy to take a regular bike. So it's definitely replacing some car trips.

Also it's fun! I've taken it on a couple of longer recreational/sightseeing rides that I wouldn't normally do on my regular bike. EG: my brother needed to borrow a car one very nice day last month, so I threw the bike in the back & drove one out to his place (42 km / 25 mi one way) and then e-biked home.

I was worried it would make me lazy... and that risk is real!

But so far, it hasn't turned out that way. Instead, it's definitely resulted getting MORE exercise instead of sitting on my butt in a car.

Random video review...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metakoo.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	33020  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (11-15-2022), The Toecutter (11-27-2022)