View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Generally speaking, the more horsepower you add, the worse the fuel economy gets.

As for why Hyundai still holds the crown for EPA, that's tough to say. According to Fuelly, in the real world the 4th gen Prius averages 2-3mpg higher than the Ioniq, despite the Ioniq being EPA-rated some 3-4mpg higher. They're both within spitting distance of each other though, and when they're that close, it kindof ceases to be important.
A lot of those real world ones are from people also doing city driving. The Ioniq sucks at city driving unless you super hyper mile it. If you drive it normally without paying attention, the city mpg is waaaay lower than the epa. Especially in winter driving with heat. My girlfriends Corolla hybrid has a lower epa city mpg, but it’s always a lot higher on its mpg driving locally. It’s a different story when it comes to interstate driving though. Even cleanmpgs tests show the Ioniq had better highway mpg at steady state driving than any other hybrid or Toyota out there. So long story short, Hyundai Ioniq better for steady state highway driving, worse for city stop and go. But if I hypermile ny Ioniq here on a mild summer day with the ac turned off, I can get 66-68 mpg around town doing errands. Which is still good for dealing with traffic lights
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-20-2022)