View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Probably more like 25kW but yup. Larger batteries live longer. Allows you to cycle them less. Hey while the american tax payer and the rest of the world are absorbing the inflation on the dollar and the government has no plan to do anything about debt or inflation might as well cash in and use the tax subsidies to let everyone else pay for a bit of your vehicle. Its the last finale and it's only fair. lol
The Chrysler Pacific goes 32 miles with a 16 kWh battery. Assuming no loss of efficiency from a heavier battery you are looking at a 30 kWh battery to go 60 miles.

Yes, a bigger battery would help offset someone repeatedly draining them. I suspect most of the PHEVs with battery issues are from people cycling the battery twice a day or more.

I guess I just don't see the benefit outweighing the compromise to cost, weight, and packaging it in a PHEV where you still have to fit an ICE and battery in the same vehicle.

The Pacifica PHEV already loses stow n go seating because the battery is under the floor where the seats would fold. It weighs 5,000 lbs empty and only has a GVWR of 6,300. Put 6 average adults in it and you have 200 lbs left for cargo.

I wouldn't expect any subsidies on PHEVs in the near future - I suspect automakers will focus their efforts on putting North American sourced batteries into EVs before PHEVS.