View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I listen to SA for the occasional honesty he's willing to slap people with that nobody else is willing to say.

About a week ago, he asserted that we're subconsciously or consciously ok with losers ODing in the streets. He didn't say losers because even he tries to make a point palatable, but that's what he's saying.

He views drug addicted individuals as entirely possessed by drugs and completely incapable of acting in their interest, and then assumes most others have the same understanding, and therefore resign themselves to the outcome of dying early in the streets. That doesn't seem an unreasonable frame to me.

As far as I can tell, we have only 2 options. 1. resign ourselves to the fact that some are completely overcome by their illness, whether it be drug addiction or violent thoughts (CO shooting most recently) and that autonomy of being is more important than safety, or 2. that there are instances where freedom and autonomy should be curtailed for the safety of individuals and society.

There isn't a 3rd option so far as I can tell. While I'm always erring on the side of liberty, I don't think kindness is allowing individuals to unleash their delusions on themselves and others in tragic ways. While I wasn't around in the 70's when perhaps involuntary confinement and treatment abused folks like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I have been around for the period of time where absolutely insane and destructive people regularly inhabit the streets.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!