View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #64 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
It is more difficult to use the rest of the garage and my Civic dash is in the driveway behind my Accord, but the path looks great!

It turns out that my brass brush was brass-plated steel!

I bought yet another brass brush, which was definitely softer, and that worked well, but there were long strips of gasket where there were components on each side of the mating surfaces.

I needed chopsticks!

Three people recommended them and Walmart.com said they had some in-stock, but they didn't!

I didn't know where else to buy some.

Someone mentioned sanding it to a point. I thought a 1/4" chisel would work, but I didn't see mine.

A 1/2" chisel would have worked. The two bolts are in the middle of the top and bottom.

If you use a wire brush on a mating surface buy 5 or clean them frequently.

How do you clean a wire brush?!

The one I bought was only $1.

I spent $6 on brake cleaner and sponges to remove the oil my brush spread around!

I used skewers, which didn't work well, but they worked eventually.

I really wanted to reinstall the oil pan last night, but I decided to wait until it was barely below freezing.

I wanted to maximize the time the Hondabond is above freezing, but it is supposed to be 15° colder than yesterday.

Hondabond says it doesn't fully cure for 3 days, so my uncle says to give it a week.

He said that when he worked for a GM dealership they had so many problems with Piece of Chevybond they used Chryslerbond.

I ordered an oil pan heater for $70, but when I plugged it in the heater fell off and started burning a towel, so I lowered my car, slid a 1,500w heater as close to the oil pan as I could, but still at least a foot away, and taped that insulation around the front of my car.

I don't know what good it will do, but I am giving it every chance I can!