View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Why would the car need premium fuel, is this in writing some where? They have been 13:1 atkinson cycle since the beginning. I will agree that premium fuel is probably going to see a benefit in knock reduction and timing increases, but the cars have been rated for 87 for a long time. I know very few cars that get a mpg increase high enough to warrant the 20% extra fuel cost for premium here in a normal state with normal fuel prices.
The 120 hp Prii have used 87 for decades. The 200 hp 2023 Prius uses 91. The 91 octane requirement was reported over on Prius Chat. Someone read the fine print on a 2023 Prius ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Also, if anyone thinks a Chevrolet Bolt will be cheaper to own that a Toyota Prius is not wise. GM is so good at building unreliable cars that you are told not to park the Bolt in your garage for safety. WTF is that lol
Honestly, with the price of electricity and regular gasoline here locally and considering pack replacements on a bolt and prius in the future around 10-12 years on average... I see no roi on a Bolt over a Prius. More than likely the Bolt will be much more expensive to own. I'm convinced the Prius is the cheapest car you can own if you are slightly handy. The $150 difference in registration fees every year already cancels out the fuel saving here locally so its really a non starter just from that.
Our 2005 and 2009 Prii were the cheapest cars we owned - until I leased a 2016 Spark EV. The EV had roughly half the running costs even if I had to pay to charge. (We have free EV charging at work)

Paying for charging I would be at $0.035 per mile for fuel and scheduled maintenance for the Spark EV.

The Prius was $0.073 for fuel and scheduled maintenance back when 87 octane was less than $2 / gallon.

That is $4,500 in savings over 10 years / 120K miles.

Now I have a 2017 Bolt EV. Got a new battery with a new warranty this year so the battery will be under warranty until the car is 12 years old or 135K miles.

Registration of course is state by state. Oregon charges extra registration fees for EV and high mileage ICE vehicles.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (11-29-2022), Isaac Zachary (11-29-2022)