View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #64 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Panasonic cells on the Chevy Bolts? If so thats a sweet deal. If they are LG cells though... yikes.
Yeah its weird how that works on local rois. Here electricity for the last 12 months has been 18.2c/kWh every month. Gas has probably averaged $3.15 and right now its $2.89. Also, if you become an overuser they give you an overuse fee on your electricity per kwh over a certain amount lol
Also, regi fee for prius is $50 and the bolt is $250 a year. So it ends up being cheaper to drive a prius. lol
Especially when you factor in they will both need a battery in 12 years (statistics wise). You will have to throw the Bolt away and reuse the old battery as the new battery will probably be 5-10 times the price of the cars value at that time. I'm guessing 20 grand.
Chevy Bolts use LG cells. It was an LG manufacturing defect that caused the recall and they paid about 95% of the cost of the recall. Customers got a new battery with a new 8 year / 100K mile warranty. Customers with older Bolts like me got a battery that was 10% larger and a bump in range. I wasn't worried about the old pack and I'm not worried about the new one. (There were about 15 Bolt battery fires worldwide)

I do most of my charging at work. For the Spark it was about 90% and with the Bolt it is about 60%. (I charge at home some because a 250 mile range makes it useful for longer trips vs the 80 mile range from the Spark). The more electricity cost the quicker solar pays back. Even at $0.15 / kWh installing solar is cheaper than my current power bill. We just won't be in the house long enough to go through the trouble.

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that either a Prius or a Bolt will need a new battery at 12 years. I would expect 15 to 20 years with a longer life for the Bolt as it is very unlikely to actually fail completely - the range will just get shorter and shorter with time. Even at 1/2 capacity it would still have double the range of the Spark EV I drove 8,500 miles a year. At 12 years old I expect to have 70 - 80% of the original capacity. I don't abuse my battery with a lot of fast charging and deep discharges.

By the time a car is 20 years old it is basically time for a new one. It is a major or a couple minor repairs away from going to the scrapyard. I would love to have an old Bolt battery with 50% capacity for home back-up. That would run my almost all-electric house for a day in the winter and 3 days in the Spring / Fall.