View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #68 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Just reading all of the prius forums. Normal non ecomodder folks typically need a battery swap on the prius around 200k/12 years. Its easy to know because you get a check hybrid system and the motor runs longer and longer until it just stays on for the most part, and then the car becomes more of a moving road block.

The Bolt will probably just be condemned to a range of 90 miles or something and then someone will take the pack and use it for a power wall.

Ah thats sucks. We all know LG makes junk cells in the 18650 world. Hopefully this doesn't piss you off, but the Bolt is another example of why to avoid LG products. In my real world life everything LG i've had so far has been junk or failed as well lol. So stove, tv, phones, etc... they all died early uncessesary deaths
Hard to say if dead batteries are very common on the Prius, or if you just commonly see it on forums because there are so many Prii.

The Bolt has environmental regulation (heating/cooling) for the battery, so it stays in a healthy temperature range at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a significant amount of capacity remaining at 15 years. The oldest ones are about 6 years old now.

What I'd have done is delayed battery replacement for like 5 years, so that after putting wear and tear on it, I get a brand new one and get another decade of warranty and miles.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!