View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #104 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
If thats true why did they issue a reduction on oil change intervals? They did it mid warranty for BMW.
What oil change intervals? This is the sum total of maintenance information in a 2022 BMW 330i owner's manual:

Quote:
Condition Based Service CBS

Principle

Sensors and special algorithms take into account the driving conditions of the vehicle. CBS uses these to provide maintenance recommendations.

The system makes it possible to adapt the amount of maintenance corresponding to your user profile.

General information

Information on service notifications can be displayed on the Control Display.

It is routine for US models to have shorter maintenance intervals than European models. For example my 2005 and 2009 Prius called for oil changes every 5,000 miles in the USA and every 15,000 km in Europe. Same oil specified. This is due to manufacturers knowing that US customers do not follow the factory maintenance schedule. I changed the oil on the US schedule until the warranty expired and then switched to the European schedule.

There was a period of time when some manufacturers decreased their oil change intervals after settling class action lawsuits over oil sludging caused by customers not changing oil as required. Toyota settled a case in 2007 covering 2.5 million vehicles.

It costs a company nothing to require customers to change fluids more frequently than required. It cost millions if a court sides with customers that don't change their oil on schedule and force companies to replace their engines under an extended warranty.

Liability is also why US vehicles routinely have lower tow ratings than in Europe or no tow rating at all.

Last edited by JSH; 12-10-2022 at 11:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-02-2022)