View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I would think the Avalon is significantly better
Yes! Hence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I hope to use the Avalon for as long as possible.
Quote:
Other than your charging issue.
The Avalon isn't a plug-in hybrid. But I do plug it in every night, I mean I plug in the engine block heater on it.
Quote:
no warm up inefficiencies
I think it has terible warm up inefficiencies. Even with the block heater it doesn't seem to help much in terms of fuel mileage. My daily driving is short trips here and there, and most of those show less than 20mpg, sometimes less than 10! I got a 1,500W block heater that I want to try to get temps up to around 175°F before driving off instead of around 30°F more than ambient like the stock block heater. But I also think the NiMH battery probably needs heating too. (Ideally I'd have a plug-in hybrid or an EV for around town and an ICEV for the highway).
Quote:
airspeed isn't significant for drag
Yes! Much better than a RAV4 that has a lower MPG rating on the highway. I hit the highway sometimes only once or twice a week, but when I do it's hundred and hundreds of miles. The Subaru seems like it would be more aerodynamic than the RAV4, but I have no idea if it really is. And when I do I get around 45 to 50mpg in the Avalon!
Quote:
and possibly a chance for some regen at some point of the trip.
True.