View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
My Outback experience

My extended family has been driving multiple Subarus for about 20 years. I have never had one for my own as a daily though.

Winter driving is top notch. You forget you are even on snow and ice, which can be problematic going into a corner too fast. We never had to get studs on any of our Subarus.

Build quality is good. Yes there is the older Outback head gasket issue. This was mostly due to the factree fabric head gasket which would fail if the coolant wasn't changed like clockwork per spec. The old coolant would go acetic and dissolve the fabric gasket coating. I replaced the head gaskets in my daughter's '99 Outback. Wasn't the worst or hardest job I have done, but the motor had to come out. Replacement head gaskets are steel and don't have this issue. I would bet that the head gasket issue is long gone or they would not be in business in 2023.

The older 1997- 2008 Subaru Outbacks s were notorious for rear oil leaks, which always leak onto the exhaust and you always smell burning oil. There is a plastic oil cooler housing thingy on the back side of the motor that cracks and leaks. They make a steel replacement, but motor has to come out to replace it.

Subaru factree parts are fairly priced compared to other manufacturers. When I replaced my daughters head gasket, I bought every new gasket, seal, belt, and wearable part, timing belt, oil seals, head bolts, etc. from the short block up and still didn't spend $400.

Outbacks do not get very good gas mileage. I have never seen over 28 mpg in an Outback. Maybe brand new ones are better. The transfer case is AWD and does have parasitic drag.

There is no 4wd switch, its AWD all the time. If you get one flat tire, expect to have to buy 4 new tires. The chain tire stores rarely will repair a single flat tire anymore (there is always an excuse why they can't fix yours) and being AWD, your allowance between tires wear is only 2/32" or you will ruin your transfer case. Unless your other 3 tires are new, expect to shell out $600 - $700 in tires every few years.

The inside cargo capacity isn't very good. With two kids, we traded our Outback in to get a mini van, as we didn't have enough cargo capacity for luggage and dogs when traveling. Most Outbacks with four passengers on road trips that I see have a roof top carrier, and that sucks down gas mileage.

Something about the flat 4 they use, is it has no low end torque. It feels if there is really no power below 3,000 rpms in every Subaru 2.5 I have driven. They do pull hard after 3,000 rpms though.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (01-02-2023), JSH (01-20-2023), redpoint5 (01-02-2023)