View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
THEME
EcoModding Lurker

E85 in a non flex fuel vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax_6531 View Post
What are the pros and cons to running a non flex-fuel vehicle on E85?

As of now, I don't even know if I can get it in my area. I'm just wondering what I should expect to see.

Thanks
I have been running E85 at up to a 50% mix with unleaded regular in my unmodified '92 Roadmaster. When the engine is cold, I get a slight hesitation for a block or so, under throttle, until the engine warms up, then it runs fine....slight power drop off climbing steep hills. When this happens, I think about OPEC, who did not sell me half a tank of gas, smile, and push a bit harder on the throttle. This solves the problem quite well, for me.

At about a 20-30% mix, there are no problems at all. In town I loose about 2mpg overall, on the highway, I break even on a 50% mix. I do not run it at all when it is cold out, eg. Winter. It starts and runs too hard.

The only reason I mess with it at all, again, is that Ilike the idea of keeping at least some of the fuel production here in the US.

Running E85 in a newer car still under warranty will void that warranty, however, so I wouldn't use it in a newer car unless it is a flex fuel vehicle. Like Mr. Lee, I am not known for my great luck.