View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 12:17 PM   #1215 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismailkho View Post
I think it's ridiculous that tire pressure monitoring systems are required. I recently learned that Honda has figured out how to use the wheel speed sensors to comply with TPMS requirements on certain vehicles, like my sister's 2016 CRV. When I was shopping for a new wheel and tire package for her CRV, I couldn't find any TPMS sensors available and later discovered that the car doesn't actually use them. It would be more cost-effective if certain regulations were bundled together and I hope more automakers follow Honda's lead in eliminating the need for in-wheel TPMS sensors.
I too thought TPMS as a legal requirement was absurd, but then you had a bunch of dummies flipping SUVs on Firestone tires because they ran them severely underinflated.

I'd know if a tire was down 10lbs, and I check them at least twice a year or on longer trips, but many people don't familiarize themselves with the handling of their vehicle, or perform inspection or maintenance.

Using the wheel speed sensor makes a lot of sense, though I wonder how it compensates for tire wear or different tires?

I'd think emergency automatic braking would be more of a safety requirement than an idiot light for tire pressure. 3 times now I've had a pedestrian lined up at a certain intersection perfectly with my A-pillar so I couldn't see them. Once they crossed at just the right pace that they stayed in my A-pillar until I was super close. Now I bob my head around to see both sides of the A-pillar blind spot, but I bet nobody else does this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!