Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2023, 01:30 PM   #1211 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Thread's been quiet for two months so I checkd DDG News to see what's up.

Apparently they reverse-split the stock to avoid delisting on NASDAQ.

www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/looking-into-arcimotos-return-on-capital-employed/
Quote:
What Is Return On Capital Employed?
Earnings data without context is not clear and can be difficult to base trading decisions on. Return on Capital Employed (ROCE) helps to filter signal from noise by measuring yearly pre-tax profit relative to capital employed by a business. Generally, a higher ROCE suggests successful growth of a company and is a sign of higher earnings per share in the future. In Q3, Arcimoto posted an ROCE of -0.45%.
For Arcimoto, a negative ROCE ratio of -0.45% suggests that management may not be effectively allocating their capital. Effective capital allocation is a positive indicator that a company will achieve more durable success and favorable long-term returns; poor capital allocation can be a leech on the performance of a company over time.
While their burning their clothes to keep warm (so to speak), they are pushing forward on the autonomous delivery and robotaxi deployment.

At ?t=15 you can see the driverless vehicle has a steering wheel. The windshield is laid back and the rear wheel is shrouded. I like this layout better than the FUV. The step-over height is troublesome, but think of the side impact protection.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #1212 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think it's ridiculous that tire pressure monitoring systems are required. I recently learned that Honda has figured out how to use the wheel speed sensors to comply with TPMS requirements on certain vehicles, like my sister's 2016 CRV. When I was shopping for a new wheel and tire package for her CRV, I couldn't find any TPMS sensors available and later discovered that the car doesn't actually use them. It would be more cost-effective if certain regulations were bundled together and I hope more automakers follow Honda's lead in eliminating the need for in-wheel TPMS sensors.
The Following User Says Thank You to ismailkho For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #1213 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
My golf has done that for the last 10 years: using precision rpm data to determine the tire is smaller and therefore low.

Darn thing typically goes off 20 miles from a gas station with air pumps
Old 01-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #1214 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismailkho View Post
I think it's ridiculous that tire pressure monitoring systems are required. I recently learned that Honda has figured out how to use the wheel speed sensors to comply with TPMS requirements on certain vehicles, like my sister's 2016 CRV. When I was shopping for a new wheel and tire package for her CRV, I couldn't find any TPMS sensors available and later discovered that the car doesn't actually use them. It would be more cost-effective if certain regulations were bundled together and I hope more automakers follow Honda's lead in eliminating the need for in-wheel TPMS sensors.
I too thought TPMS as a legal requirement was absurd, but then you had a bunch of dummies flipping SUVs on Firestone tires because they ran them severely underinflated.

I'd know if a tire was down 10lbs, and I check them at least twice a year or on longer trips.

Using the wheel speed sensor makes a lot of sense, though I wonder how it compensates for tire wear or different tires?

I'd think emergency automatic braking would be more of a safety requirement than an idiot light for tire pressure.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
ismailkho (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 12:17 PM   #1215 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismailkho View Post
I too thought TPMS as a legal requirement was absurd, but then you had a bunch of dummies flipping SUVs on Firestone tires because they ran them severely underinflated.

I'd know if a tire was down 10lbs, and I check them at least twice a year or on longer trips, but many people don't familiarize themselves with the handling of their vehicle, or perform inspection or maintenance.

Using the wheel speed sensor makes a lot of sense, though I wonder how it compensates for tire wear or different tires?

I'd think emergency automatic braking would be more of a safety requirement than an idiot light for tire pressure. 3 times now I've had a pedestrian lined up at a certain intersection perfectly with my A-pillar so I couldn't see them. Once they crossed at just the right pace that they stayed in my A-pillar until I was super close. Now I bob my head around to see both sides of the A-pillar blind spot, but I bet nobody else does this.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #1216 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

I'd know if a tire was down 10lbs, and I check them at least twice a year or on longer trips.

I'd think emergency automatic braking would be more of a safety requirement than an idiot light for tire pressure.
With an indirect TPMS system the computer is just comparing RPM between the wheels. If one wheel starts turning faster than the others the effective diameter is smaller and therefore the tire must be low. (Our you put on a different size wheel) Federal law requires a TPMS to trigger when a tire is 25% below the recommended pressure.

Indirect systems are cheap but they have limitations. My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen at indirect TPMS that failed to warn me that I had a puncture on a gravel road because it doesn't work below a certain vehicle speed. We came back from a 3 day backpacking trip to find a completely flat tire. They also don't work if all your tires are equally low - which is what happens when someone never checks their tire pressure and adds air to make up for the normal loss of air pressure over time.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #1217 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Gravel roads would be more difficult for me to detect a low tire. I need asphalt to really tell the handling difference. I've had flats on gravel before, but I could tell because it was nearly flat, not just low.

I did once manage to drive home from hiking with a 9mm bullet lodged in the tread and not notice until the next day when I lost enough air. I'd sure be curious to see the video showing how that happened.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:08 AM   #1218 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Normally I can tell that my pressure is low because of how my car turns, but last week I noticed that my car was coasting far worse, so I thought that I needed to check when I got home.

Did I remember?!

Note to self: If my tires seem weird pull over immediately.

Will I remember?!
Old 01-06-2023, 09:53 AM   #1219 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
With an indirect TPMS system the computer is just comparing RPM between the wheels. If one wheel starts turning faster than the others the effective diameter is smaller and therefore the tire must be low. (Our you put on a different size wheel) Federal law requires a TPMS to trigger when a tire is 25% below the recommended pressure.

Indirect systems are cheap but they have limitations. My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen at indirect TPMS that failed to warn me that I had a puncture on a gravel road because it doesn't work below a certain vehicle speed. We came back from a 3 day backpacking trip to find a completely flat tire. They also don't work if all your tires are equally low - which is what happens when someone never checks their tire pressure and adds air to make up for the normal loss of air pressure over time.
HMMM odd. In the 2013 Golf, I have to do the snow tire button if it has my "sort of " chains on, and then it gets pissy if the fronts break loose on ice. Haven't experienced any low speed issues, might have to do an experiment there. The owners manual does hint the system compares all 4 since a long sweeping turn should set it off. It did go off sporadically when I got different profile tires and doesn't seem to have a problem running the spare donut.

It does go off when I swap front to rear and forget to change inflation, I always have to reset after tire position rotation at the tire place.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:58 AM   #1220 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
HMMM odd. In the 2013 Golf, I have to do the snow tire button if it has my "sort of " chains on, and then it gets pissy if the fronts break loose on ice. Haven't experienced any low speed issues, might have to do an experiment there. The owners manual does hint the system compares all 4 since a long sweeping turn should set it off. It did go off sporadically when I got different profile tires and doesn't seem to have a problem running the spare donut.

It does go off when I swap front to rear and forget to change inflation, I always have to reset after tire position rotation at the tire place.
In my case the TPMS warning did not trigger and I came back to a completely flat tire. I wasn't a fault positive.

I can't be sure it wasn't just a slow leak but after the flat I read up on the system and found that it doesn't work below a specific speed. I think it was 25 mph. On this trip I spent about 25 miles crawling down a gravel road at between 15 and 20 mph.

There are plenty of time when wheels will turn different speeds - turns, wheel spin, bumps, etc. That is why the computer is looking for sustained differences in RPM

Reply  Post New Thread