View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Christian
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Nice find! These 7th gen Civics can get surprisingly good MPG. I have an 05 sedan with the 1.7 VTEC and base D17A1 5 speed and I regularly get 45-47 MPG on my daily commute with a best tank of 49.2 MPG. That's with some mods (mostly performance mods actually), but nothing extreme.

I also have a K24A2 swapped sleeper 04 sedan, but at the moment it's currently getting only about 40-42 MPG because it's not nearly finished yet.

If I may make a few suggestions for simple and cheap ways to improve your MPG, you may want to get a block heater, block the upper grill for the winter, adjust the valve lash, and change the spark plugs and upstream o2 sensor if they are original. You'll likely see some decent gains with that stuff.

You can also convert the power steering to the electric system from the Civic Hybrid or EP3 Si or just delete the power steering to free up a few HP, get a little more MPG, and free up a lot of space under the hood. Converting to EPS was fairly easy and cheap for me, but I don't find these cars that hard to steer without power steering either.
Thanks for the tips EcoCivic,
Is your daily commute mainly highway? 45-47mpg seems unachievable for me. Right now, my average fuel economy sits around 26mpg, but that's almost all short 5-10 minute city drives with a cold engine, which isn't exactly ideal parameters for good gas mileage. A block heater would definitely make sense for me, but I don't want to have to fight for driveway space every time I get home, so it's not on my list for now.

That's really cool that you converted your power steering to an electric system, my pump has actually been whining the last few weeks. I was going to flush the system, but if that doesn't fix it I may just do a delete and eventually an electric power steering swap. Do you have a build thread you can link me?

I'm not sure if the spark plugs are old or not, I haven't taken a look actually, I'll keep that in mind once the weather warms up. If you have any other tips or advice let me know! I'm really hoping to get it up to 30mpg, hopefully once I put these new wheels and tires on it'll give me a push in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Funny, I need to modify--fix--my 2002 Civic coupe.

It has a quarter million miles and a blown head gasket.

I need to finally get my Accord back on the road, figure out my ATF leak, and then figure out the 2002 Civic.

However, life, uh, finds a way.

What year was your Accord?
Well, it sounds like yours needs some work, but I'm glad to hear it lasted so long before the head gasket blew. I've heard the main issues on these cars are the head gaskets and automatic transmissions, luckily I don't need to worry about the transmission!

My Accord was a 2008 V6 Coupe with a 6 speed manual, it was fully loaded (EX-L w/ Navigation), and was a great car. If it weren't for the paint's dramatic wear over the last year I would have kept it for a long time.