View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Thanks for the tips EcoCivic,
Is your daily commute mainly highway? 45-47mpg seems unachievable for me. Right now, my average fuel economy sits around 26mpg, but that's almost all short 5-10 minute city drives with a cold engine, which isn't exactly ideal parameters for good gas mileage. A block heater would definitely make sense for me, but I don't want to have to fight for driveway space every time I get home, so it's not on my list for now.

That's really cool that you converted your power steering to an electric system, my pump has actually been whining the last few weeks. I was going to flush the system, but if that doesn't fix it I may just do a delete and eventually an electric power steering swap. Do you have a build thread you can link me?

I'm not sure if the spark plugs are old or not, I haven't taken a look actually, I'll keep that in mind once the weather warms up. If you have any other tips or advice let me know! I'm really hoping to get it up to 30mpg, hopefully once I put these new wheels and tires on it'll give me a push in the right direction.
My daily commute is currently 25 miles each way on country highways with 40-55 MPH speed limits and only a couple stops each way, so pretty good conditions for MPG. It's not bad on the interstate though, I just took my 05 on a ~450 mile round trip from Memphis to Nashville to pick up a 6 speed transmission for my 04 and I averaged 45.4 MPG (indicated and verified) on the way there at about 60-65 MPH and on the way back I averaged 47.9 MPG (indicated but not verified) averaging about 55 MPH. That's with no drafting or other extreme techniques, just being smooth on the throttle, coasting down the slight hills as much as possible, and driving in a way that brake usage isn't required. I don't get very good MPG on short trips either, 26 MPG seems about right. But other than preheating the engine, there's not much you can do about that other than not idling to warm up and not using the heater until the engine is warm since heater usage delays the warmup. Could you possibly use a long extension cord to power a block heater?

Deleting the power steering isn't a bad option. At least in my opinion, these cars aren't that hard to steer without power steering as long as the strut mounts, tie rod ends, etc aren't sticking like mine were and I'm not a big guy. If my only options were the stock system or manual steering, I'd pick manual steering every day. I don't have a complete build thread, but have a couple threads on converting to EPS if that's something you are considering. And of course if you have any questions you are always welcome to ask.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...n-37317-2.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...onversion.html

Last edited by EcoCivic; 01-08-2023 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
Christian (01-08-2023)