View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Cool - if anyone's going to follow through with this, it would be Coyote X.

Hope you don't mind I changed the subject line a bit. It really would be a hybrid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
My goal would be able to start and run only electric drive for 5 minutes at 35mph. Any longer or faster would be a bonus but if I can do that then I'm happy.
That's totally achieveable with the parts you linked and 48v worth of either floodies or AGM batts. (Optimas are AGM.) Another benefit of AGM is you can mount in any orientation - they won't spill - so "packaging" is easier.

Quote:
The only clue I have about what is needed is an online calculator that says it will pull 150 amps at 50mph flat ground with the weight of my car put in it.
FYI, the ForkenSwift pulls roughly 70-100A @ 48v to go 30-35 mph. That's with a less efficient motor, heavier (2070 lbs) car, and horrid rolling resistance (snow tires... in the summer).

Quote:
As far as connecting the motor to the drive. I can add a sprocket to the drivers side cv axle and put the motor over top of the transmission. It would spin all the time
The motor & controller you linked to can do regen, so that may not be a bad thing to have direct drive, always turning. Though the rule of thumb is to expect only about a 10% range increase with a regen system.

What about a sprag/freewheeling clutch? Maybe a little less parasitic drag, and you could potentially use a cheaper brushed motor/controller.

This is totally do-able. I think about it often and want to do the same thing to the Flea, though it's further off in the future than next year if at all.

Another thought: what about using the 5th gear shafts on the end of the transmission? http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-fwd-1605.html
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget