View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Christian
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Subscribed! I haven't been as active on Ecomodder as of late but it's always good to see another Civic build.

On my Insight, doing engine off coasting around town meant the difference between 50 mpg and 75 mpg in city traffic. Now my Prius C does that automatically and still gets 75 mpg!

The Insight had EPS though so I didn't lose steering with engine off. Coasting is huge, and even coasting in neutral in my old Civic and minimizing brake usage when I could helped a lot.

What tire pressure are you running? If most of your driving is around town, increased tire pressure will help more than aeromods.

Running a 80% grille block in the winter helped warm up a ton although I did have to dial it back to around 50% in the summer. Like others have said, most of your low MPG is due to idling around town and the warm up process.

Nice score on the lightweight wheels!
Wow, that's a huge increase, I am tempted to do some EOC, but I have a lot of hills and traffic on my short trips. I'm worried about the loss of brake assist more than the loss of power steering, but I will keep this in mind when on empty side streets. Recently, I have been doing much more coasting in neutral, which I believe has helped in my improved fuel economy. It's hard to confirm though, as the road conditions and outside temperature have improved so much.

I'm only doing 35psi, as my winter tires are recommended for 30psi, but once the weather improves and I can put my new lightweight wheels and tires on, I'll definitely be running higher pressure.

I have recently acquired 4 medium-sized coroplast signs, so the next item on my list will be making a grille block. I'm thinking I'll start with a full upper grille block and eventually a ~30% lower grille block. I need to find some vinyl wrap though, because the signs are bright yellow...

Last edited by Christian; 01-30-2023 at 01:30 AM..