View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 02:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
Christian
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
This is much sooner than I anticipated considering update #4 was 3 days ago, but here's an update as I had some free time today.

As mentioned in previous updates, I've been planning on doing a full upper grille block, and a partial lower grille block, but had yet to buy any coroplast. Luckily, about 2 weeks ago I saw some free coroplast signs on Facebook marketplace and obviously I had to grab them. They're bright yellow, but they were free... pros and cons I guess.

Today started off on a crummy note, I woke up to a nail in my tire AND it was snowing. When I brought my car it in to get the tire plugged, the sidewall was bulging, so it had to be replaced. The tire shop wanted $228 ($171 USD) for a new tire, which was laughable considering I spent $200 ($150 USD) on my 4 winter tires and rims. Luckily there was a cheap shop nearby, and I got a $70 ($52.59 USD) used tire.

On the bright side, I was free today, and the cold/snow this morning reminded me that my fuel economy would inevitably start decreasing. So, I decided to take measurements and build a prototype for my partial lower grille block outside in the cold like a crazy person. All went well, and I had a good cardboard prototype, so I decided to just go ahead and build my coroplast version, which went well. I haven't put it on the car yet, as it is currently drying because I had to paint it black, but I will fit it soon.

Specs: 17in x 4in - Partial block of exactly 60.714% of the lower grille.

Attached are some images of the rough prototype grille block. Will post photos of the painted coroplast version once it is dry and I've fitted it.
(Full disclosure: the final version is 1in longer than the prototype pictured, this was done to add a third mounting/zip tie spot.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	33268   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	33269   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	33270  

Last edited by Christian; 02-01-2023 at 03:10 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian For This Useful Post:
Ecky (02-01-2023)