View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #147 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
you know i live in portland too? im at mount hood luterally twice a week every week. never had a single issue with lava rock dust or snow on the rear of my ioniq ever on powder days. i only have to hand wipe it off in the parking lot. or sometimes i just use the back up camera and then drive and by the time im down tp govy, the whole rear windscreen is cleared... again, high pressure attached airflow cleans it right off here in the PNW
Either your Ioniq has more rear slope to the hatch than my old Prius or you do a lot more car cleaning. You do mention putting rainX on your rear hatch. Maybe that doesn't allow the dust to stick. Our Acura hasn't been washed since the topbox went on along with the winter tires back in early December.

Every vehicle I have owned in the PNW gets covered with volcanic rock dust - top to bottom. Even my front windshields get covered outside of where the wipers sweep. Sometimes I'll wash the windshield by hand with some Windex but generally the rain cleans things up after a couple of days.

Then there is snow. Pretty much anytime I'm going through government camp in the winter it is a giant traffic jam with traffic creeping along well below 30 mph. It is to the point where I don't even go through Government Camp anymore - I drive to Hood River and head up the mountain from the North side. (I x-country ski so there is no point in going into Govt Camp if I don't have to)

Creeping along at 10 - 20 mph the snow would accumulate on the Prius rear hatch - which along with the volcanic dust is why I put the wiper back on the Prius the first winter in Oregon.