Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2023, 11:04 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Reminds me: I should Rain-X the Metro while it's dry out.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2023, 12:04 AM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Reminds me: I should Rain-X the Metro while it's dry out.
rainx on my ioniq rear hatch is amazing. hit 30-35 mph and all the water is gone instantly
Old 02-07-2023, 12:06 AM   #143 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
who needs a rear wiper when you have attached air flow? why do you think teslas dont have rear wipers?
Same reason the Model X has stupid gull wing doors. They were designed in California by people that don't see snow.

Attached air flow does nothing at 15 - 20 mph when snow is coming down and it certainly doesn't clear off fine red dust from the lava rock used on our roads instead of salt.

I took the rear wiper off my 2005 Prius when I lived in Alabama. It stayed off for the first summer and then went back on for winter.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:39 AM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Same reason the Model X has stupid gull wing doors. They were designed in California by people that don't see snow.

Attached air flow does nothing at 15 - 20 mph when snow is coming down and it certainly doesn't clear off fine red dust from the lava rock used on our roads instead of salt.

I took the rear wiper off my 2005 Prius when I lived in Alabama. It stayed off for the first summer and then went back on for winter.
you know i live in portland too? im at mount hood luterally twice a week every week. never had a single issue with lava rock dust or snow on the rear of my ioniq ever on powder days. i only have to hand wipe it off in the parking lot. or sometimes i just use the back up camera and then drive and by the time im down tp govy, the whole rear windscreen is cleared... again, high pressure attached airflow cleans it right off here in the PNW
Old 02-07-2023, 12:41 AM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Not according to the EPA ratings. The Prime does better both combined and highway even in gas only mode.

In real life would it do better cruising at 75 mph? Maybe. The Prime has a bit more weight to carry but it also has a more powerful motor so it can regen more and feed in more electric torque. It is probably a wash.

The Prime is also more powerful, quicker, stays in EV mode much easier, and the larger battery means that it will last longer with normal hybrid cycling. The Prime can also recapture MUCH more electricity with regen which is very handy if you live in mountainous areas. (That was a big downside to my two 2nd gen Prius - they would fill the battery and stop regen before I was even 1/4 of the way down a grade and then I had to switch over to engine braking mode to keep from burning up the brakes.

Subjectively the Prime was less ugly than the regular Prius.

So pretty much better in every way and Prime was slightly cheaper to buy after factoring in the $2,500 tax credit. Yet the regular Prius outsold the Prime 5:1.

(This is personalized to have 100% highway driving)
I always wondered about that too. The prime didn't do it for me though because I would only save $10-15/mo over the regular model in fuel cost but have to lose a seat. That kinda sucks. I do think they finally added the seat back in though.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:01 AM   #146 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
The typical person can't tell you how much they spend on gas let alone tell you the cost per mile to fuel their car. Less than 1/3rd of households have a budget or track spending by category.
I don't have a budget or really track spending. When you spend as frugally as you can, there's no need.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #147 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
you know i live in portland too? im at mount hood luterally twice a week every week. never had a single issue with lava rock dust or snow on the rear of my ioniq ever on powder days. i only have to hand wipe it off in the parking lot. or sometimes i just use the back up camera and then drive and by the time im down tp govy, the whole rear windscreen is cleared... again, high pressure attached airflow cleans it right off here in the PNW
Either your Ioniq has more rear slope to the hatch than my old Prius or you do a lot more car cleaning. You do mention putting rainX on your rear hatch. Maybe that doesn't allow the dust to stick. Our Acura hasn't been washed since the topbox went on along with the winter tires back in early December.

Every vehicle I have owned in the PNW gets covered with volcanic rock dust - top to bottom. Even my front windshields get covered outside of where the wipers sweep. Sometimes I'll wash the windshield by hand with some Windex but generally the rain cleans things up after a couple of days.

Then there is snow. Pretty much anytime I'm going through government camp in the winter it is a giant traffic jam with traffic creeping along well below 30 mph. It is to the point where I don't even go through Government Camp anymore - I drive to Hood River and head up the mountain from the North side. (I x-country ski so there is no point in going into Govt Camp if I don't have to)

Creeping along at 10 - 20 mph the snow would accumulate on the Prius rear hatch - which along with the volcanic dust is why I put the wiper back on the Prius the first winter in Oregon.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #148 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't have a budget or really track spending. When you spend as frugally as you can, there's no need.
True - when you live well below you means there isn't much of a need for a budget. But that isn't most people. Remember that 60% of US households don't have the savings to cover a $500 expense. They are living paycheck to paycheck and that is where a budget comes in very handy - to get out of that situation.

When my wife and I were getting out of debt we had a budget down to the last dollar. It was necessary to stay on track - and REALLY necessary when she went back to school and I was paying college tuition out of pocket. Back then we had $20 spending money a month each and the rest was allocated to necessities. Now that the debt is paid off and we live on less than 1 income we do quarterly reviews on finances.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Either your Ioniq has more rear slope to the hatch than my old Prius or you do a lot more car cleaning. You do mention putting rainX on your rear hatch. Maybe that doesn't allow the dust to stick. Our Acura hasn't been washed since the topbox went on along with the winter tires back in early December.

Every vehicle I have owned in the PNW gets covered with volcanic rock dust - top to bottom. Even my front windshields get covered outside of where the wipers sweep. Sometimes I'll wash the windshield by hand with some Windex but generally the rain cleans things up after a couple of days.

Then there is snow. Pretty much anytime I'm going through government camp in the winter it is a giant traffic jam with traffic creeping along well below 30 mph. It is to the point where I don't even go through Government Camp anymore - I drive to Hood River and head up the mountain from the North side. (I x-country ski so there is no point in going into Govt Camp if I don't have to)

Creeping along at 10 - 20 mph the snow would accumulate on the Prius rear hatch - which along with the volcanic dust is why I put the wiper back on the Prius the first winter in Oregon.
Not the best photo example, but this is how snow and dirt accumulates. It’s so bad that the rear lower hatch glass is impossible to see out of. The volcanic dust and snow and slush just makes it nasty. Even hand washing doesn’t really work so I have to go to a car wash after. Like I said, there’s enough pressure and air flow to keep the snow off the top. Even when stuck in traffic. Had the car 3 years, 135k miles, snowboard twice a week. PNW. Colorado. Montana. Utah. Tahoe. Every type of snow condition. Never needed a rear wiper. And PNW is the heaviest and wettest and stickier too. It’s amazing driving in high desert snow. Don’t even need front wiper blades for that stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0338D211-8F3B-4A8A-8FA3-23ED578ADC06.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	33400  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
JSH (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #150 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I never needed the rear wiper on the Gen III Prius.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread