View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Curly1
EcoModding Lurker

Princess - '08 Chevy HHR LSSR
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)
$30,000 is a little steep.

I agree $30,000 is a little steep, my hope is that GM , Chrysler and Ford will try to compete with this and the prices will come way down. What about the motorcyle manufacturors such as Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda? If they jump into this market it will rapidly improve for the better. Motorcycles are lightweight but not aerodynamic.
From what I understand there is no solar panels powerful enough to make it completly independant but more panels could reduce the grid load a little more. I understand someone is working on solar panels that can be "printed" on thin plastic sheets and you will be able to cover your house and car with it. Supposedly the performance of the solar panels is much more effecient, powerful and cheaper to make. They also said full scale production is still probably 10 years away...... As better solar panels solutions come up they will be added to cars such as this.
It appears they have a good storage area behind the front seats and I think they said something about a four seater model. For me the 2 seater would cover 97% of my needs.
Still as they say "Different horses for different courses" That will never replace my one ton four door dually for towing 14,000 Lbs to the trade shows. But it could save me a bunch of money on my daily trip to work. If I was in a bad crash of course I would rather be in my big truck. The Aptera probably weighs 1000 Lbs or less. That and aerodynamics is what gives it the good mileage (and performance)
To get such good mileage you have to cut all the size and weight you can. I think in the future more cars will be much more aerodynamic as we are leaving soo much on the table right now and it is costing us soo much.
The factories are cutting weight where ever possible but they are building for the main stream. I think this type vehicle needs to become more mainstream.
I like the Aptera and think more manufacturors should be building something along this line. I believe the Aptera will sell all they can build and everyone will have to take notice.
The only thing that concerns me about this electric car (or any other) is they say they do not use much energy or that they are cheaper on gas.
I live in Texas so in the hot summer my electric bill to keep my house at a liveable temperature is sometimes $300 or more per month. If I get one of these cars will I save $200 a month on my gasoline bill but ADD $150 to my home electric bill?
If so this vehicle may be better with like a 14 Hp Kubata diesel power or some of the motorcycle type powerplants. The benifits of aerodynamics and lightweight work with any power system. This type vehicle has a lot of potential. Curly