View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post

Looking at prices on used Sparks and Bolts also shows that they are about twice as expensive as some of the Leaves i have seen.

I may be able to find a Spark from a private seller for cheap, but I have the impression that the cars are cheap.
The Nissan Leaf has an air-cooled battery with a reputation for early failure. That is why they are cheap along with the limited range even when new.

I had a 2016 Chevy Spark EV. It was GM's compliance car made from 2014 - 2016 with only about 6,000 made. GM changed the batteries 2 or 3 times in that period so there is zero change of any aftermarket support in case of a battery failure. A replacement battery was $22,000 last I checked. (I have a theory that GM has 1 battery on the shelf to meet the legal requirement to offer warranty parts but priced so that nobody will actually buy it).

That said - I liked my Spark. It was a very fun car to drive around town if you can deal with the range. (82 miles EPA with my average about 95 miles summer and 65 miles winter.) It is also very quick with way too much torque unto that open differential which can result in massive torque steer and spinning tires up to about 30 mph. It is downright dangerous in the ran or snow on the stock tires.

My 2017 Bolt is fun like the Spark but bigger and better in about every way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-09-2023), redpoint5 (03-06-2023)