View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 08:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Most people don't take even the slightest bit of effort to prepare for weather emergencies. The average TV consumes 150 watts and an inverter sized to run a TV and a fridge is $70 to $200.
I recently picked up an 800 watt Sportsman inverter/generator for $95. Supposedly runs 6 hours on half a gallon of gasoline.

It was somewhat of an impulse buy as my dad has several generators, but they aren't the inverting kind. It's the smallest and lightest genset around, and fairly quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I like the Ecoflow Delta, but way misunderestimated the price. Here is more power for less money.
I've been critical of every powerstation "deal" on Slickdeals recently, because what are the odds that a powerstation has exactly the capacity you need, and exactly the power output capabilities?

Better to have a separate inverter and battery, than an all-in-one unit that will get tossed in the garbage once the batteries wear out. Cheaper, and you can size it to your needs.

Then again, I'm the sort of person that can't stand combo modem/routers. Most people prefer them for the simplicity though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Generators can also be deadly. Even making sure it's outside isn't enough. 50% of carbon monoxide deaths from generators were from generators that were outside.

Edit. Of course using a car with an ICE for the same reasons is also dangerous.

This does bring up a question though. What battery would work in a cold climate like mine? Or what can be done to keep one from freezing? We still have several feet of snow and quite a while before it's warm again.
Many (most?) gensets have CO detectors. You can buy a battery operated one for like $5. Generators are the way to power people who live in CO, not batteries... and I just realized Colorado is Carbon Monoxide. That's unfortunate.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-07-2023 at 08:12 PM..