View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Teenagers and electric cars

I got back home this evening, and went to quick take care of a few things in the garage.

While I was doing that, my 18-year old, high school Senior, youngest brother pulled up in his Ford Taurus with three of his friends.

They came over to look at my "cool" electric cars!

I gave them the quick tours of the Metro and the Citicar. I think my brother, Andrew, is a whole lot more interested in the Citicar than the Metro. Seems to have more appeal as an unusual vehicle.

I took the 3 friends out for a ride in the Metro. (Andrew had been for a ride in it before anyways.) Fortunately, none of them were too heavy. The four of us plus the batteries seemed fine. I didn't have any problems with the suspension, but most of the roads by my house are pretty nice.

The one kid in particular was really interested in Eco-cars. He was saying how he really wanted to do road trips in a Prius. I have him a biz card for the Milwaukee Hybrid Group and told him to visit Ecomodder.com.

My brother asked if he could drive the Citicar to school sometime. The highschool is about 3 miles from his house. Once I get the brakes fixed, I don't see why he can't borrow it. (As long as I get insurance figured out!)

Anyways, I just thought it was great to see some younger folks interested in Electrics!

On a side note, I spoke to a high school shop teacher on Saturday who is interested in getting an EV Building club going with the students at his school. He asked if I could come visit the students sometime! I said yes!

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos