View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #1158 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Then why when I say prices are going up where I live, I get the advice to move to a town that doesn't have prices going up?
A. You don't own a home so you aren't benefiting from the increase in home prices
B. You don't seem to have the income to keep up with the rapidly increasing cost of living
C. Your statements on the forum seem to indicate that you have basically given up on either of those things happening.

By all accounts your town is gentrifying - which is bad if you aren't part of the landed gentry or economic class that is seeing their income increase in step with costs.

As I've said multiple times - I have no idea why someone would work in a place like Portland at Starbucks or Amazon making $20 a hour when they can make the same amount in another city with 1/2 the cost of living. Working an entry level job is fine as a stepping stone to other things. If there is no realistic plan to increase income to match the local cost of living then it makes no sense to keep living in an expensive city. You will only fall farther and farther behind - which makes moving even more difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-18-2023)