View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 04:56 PM   #232 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Solar in Gambia is what I was suggesting. Leapfrogging from one local maxima to the next.

He went on and on about 'average' being useless. I'd look to a comparison of average mean and mode to see what falls out of the data.

I'm starting to think I should start a Bucky Fuller thread. From the R. A. Wilson interview in 1981

But in places he sounds like G.Thunberg. :
Nobody has a monopoly on correct opinion, so I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bath water... which is why I continue to listen to SA. Any prediction about a complex system containing unknown variables is going to be wrong. It could be directionally accurate, but the specifics will be incorrect.

From a persuasion perspective, I don't think there's any way to motivate people on a complex topic to take action without creating fear and a sense of urgency, so I guess I shouldn't fault any "true believers" when they create nonsense timeframes. That said, you certainly don't want to be caught being Neville Chamberlain when the situation calls for being Winston Churchill. The trick is discerning when it's appropriate to be either of those figures.

Regarding my frameworks, I'm too undisciplined and have too little time to subject them to reality, so I post them as clearly as I can in forums to open-source edit and construct.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!