View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
I
Another idea I have toyed with is and just started is converting a 78 passenger COE diesel school bus into a hybrid RV/enclosed race car hauler. It will need its own economical power source for use at the tracks.

So, this is the idea, mount on its roof a 2800?Watt 120/240V solar/grid tied backup system, and come any hurricane, I don't have to worry about booking any high priced non-cancelable high in demand multi day hurricane stays in a hotel that might also become in the storm's path, I just load my food from my home refrig, fuel up, tow a second car on a trailer, and drive away as needed. Return post hurricane and power my home off a transfer switch connected to the RV solar/battery/diesel genset. I live alone so my power needs can be curtailed as power is available and still live comfortably in my home. I likely would oversize the RV with lithium battery capacity for longevity and weight in the RV.

It would be my RV/race car hauler/hurricane escape module. I could also incorporate a split basic/essential electric system for the house to be run 24/7 off the RV for reduced electric billing if I became industrious.
Am I crazy?
Sounds completely sane to me. Similar to what I'm doing with an ambulance conversion but I'm looking to live it in full time. If you are looking at adding 2800 watts of solar you are going to need to move up residential solar components instead of 12V RV and campervan stuff. (Current just gets WAY to high at 12V)

I'm going with 1800 watts of solar and 10 kWh of LFP battery at 48V.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (03-28-2023)