Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2023, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My parent's built a house on the Oregon coast in 1980. It was designed such that when the wind was blowing 100MPH, the only sound was the rain hitting the windowpanes. It was like a Mercedes-Benz at 100MPH.

180MPH winds sound achievable to me, airplanes fly faster than that. Maybe not with cedar shingles, but only because of airborne debris. Today I'd go with hexagonal concrete tiles.

I'd want noise cancellation in the home stereo, though.
I've wondered why noise cancellation isn't standard equipment in every car. All cars these days have speakers and a microphone and a computer, so they've got everything you need to cancel a bit of that noise. Save a bit on acoustic treatments in software.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2023, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wouldn't one of hurdles for noise canceling inside the car be the inadvertent canceling/diminishing of say a siren, burglar alarm, a mom screaming for its child not walk behind your backing car, a motorcycle nearby, etc, and all the legal liabilities therein?
Old 03-22-2023, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,110 Times in 979 Posts
One word: Bentley.

Yes you cant hear stuff, but in theory you don't need to if you're operating at deliberate haste. Being late for work makes you shortcut a lot of carefullness which is where the accidents happen.

I see red/blue/yellow/ white flashing lights long before I hear the vehicle
Old 03-24-2023, 12:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I see red/blue/yellow/ white flashing lights long before I hear the vehicle
There are some hospitals near my apartment, so I occasionally see vehicles which are "obviously" involved with some emergency even when there are no flashing lights or sirens. Once in a while, hearing the way the driver hits the horn, or how the engine is revved the hell out of, may give some clues too.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
I
Another idea I have toyed with is and just started is converting a 78 passenger COE diesel school bus into a hybrid RV/enclosed race car hauler. It will need its own economical power source for use at the tracks.

So, this is the idea, mount on its roof a 2800?Watt 120/240V solar/grid tied backup system, and come any hurricane, I don't have to worry about booking any high priced non-cancelable high in demand multi day hurricane stays in a hotel that might also become in the storm's path, I just load my food from my home refrig, fuel up, tow a second car on a trailer, and drive away as needed. Return post hurricane and power my home off a transfer switch connected to the RV solar/battery/diesel genset. I live alone so my power needs can be curtailed as power is available and still live comfortably in my home. I likely would oversize the RV with lithium battery capacity for longevity and weight in the RV.

It would be my RV/race car hauler/hurricane escape module. I could also incorporate a split basic/essential electric system for the house to be run 24/7 off the RV for reduced electric billing if I became industrious.
Am I crazy?
Sounds completely sane to me. Similar to what I'm doing with an ambulance conversion but I'm looking to live it in full time. If you are looking at adding 2800 watts of solar you are going to need to move up residential solar components instead of 12V RV and campervan stuff. (Current just gets WAY to high at 12V)

I'm going with 1800 watts of solar and 10 kWh of LFP battery at 48V.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, I'm on the same page at 48V which I have already decided, but if I had to do over, I would go even higher.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

The hardest part with lower voltages would be to find suitable appliances, without having to get inverters or a gas stove.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My solution everything not part of vehicle operation will connect to ithe 48V inverters. I likely will have a small independent backup inverter connected to the vehicle 12V system.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,110 Times in 979 Posts
Quote:
My solution everything not part of vehicle operation will connect to ithe 48V inverters. I likely will have a small independent backup inverter connected to the vehicle 12V system.
is this a financial decision or a practical engineering one? Dc to Ac then back to Dc conversions are really lossy and expensive for all the pieces parts involved. Suppose you could build your own supercap voltage multiplier and PWM stepdowns, but all the voltage multiplier circuitry I have experienced is not that high currents and really fussy about parameters.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I likely will have a small independent backup inverter connected to the vehicle 12V system.
How would you ensure the backup inverter wouldn't drain the battery enough to prevent the engine from starting when required?

Reply  Post New Thread