View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Electro-Metro Adventures

Hey everyone.

I just realized how long my "Electro-Metro Build Thread"!

From now on, I am going to have construction and tech info in that thread, and I am starting this one to talk about all the fun adventures I go on with the car.

Starting with the annual bonfire this past Saturday.

My wife and I have been doing a bonfire at my parents house (big back yard, very private) for about the last decade.

My parents live about 10 miles away, so I wanted to take the Metro there and back.

Of course I have to drag along a jacket, chips, a couple cases of soda, booze, flashlights, and everything else with to have a good old time.

We didn't have much wood this year, other than the pallets I have been snagging any time I see them and then drop them off over there. Down the street is a cabinet shop that I have full rights to dumpster dive in.

My brother Andrew and I zipped down there in the Metro to see what was in the dumpster to burn.
Of course I didn't have the pickup truck with, and there wasn't another good vehicle at my parents house to load up, so we threw a door, 4x4s, and other assorted goods straight into the back of the car.

Back at the ranch, my EVil brother actually ENCOURAGED me to off-road our way back to the bonfire, reasoning that it is "so much easier than getting the wheelbarrow..."

The ground was a little soft, and we did leave some mud on the grass in a place or two. Tire traction was the limiting factor, NOT TORQUE! The car is front wheel drive, and I think there wasn't much weight on them with the batteries and all that wood in the back.

It's a steep, long hill to get back from the bonfire area. I had no problems going up that hill. I did it in second. If I had to, I suppose first gear would run this car like a tractor!

So, anyways, who needs an SUV, when you can have an all-electric, carbon-neutral good time!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos