View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #636 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Vacuum switch

I have decided that rigging the vacuum pump for the power brake system to the brake pedal switch isn't the best thing.

It works fine in regular light traffic, but if I am stuck at a light, or worse yet, on the yielding side of a busy intersection, I am stopped for too long with the pump running.

I imagine the pump pulls even more amps when it gets up to where it really can't pump anymore, which is right around 20.

I hadn't had any luck finding a good, cheap vacuum switch anywhere. Yesterday, I got to see a nice (high-budget) S10 conversion. His has a fancy 12V vacuum pump with a switch built right on it.

I took a digital still photo of the markings on that vac switch. I was able to find that particular switch through an on-line retailer. I just placed an order for it. $22!

I have not been too fond of paying for new anything on this car, but this should make the brake system really slick, and be good for a long time.

I also managed to stumble across a price for just the battery charger on that S10 - it costs MORE than my entire Geo Metro conversion!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos